Whoever said money cannot buy you happiness hasn’t been to Singapore during Cocktail Week. We are talking award-winning bartenders (both resident and visiting) shaking up special cocktails at watering holes across the city, while purveyors of fine spirits set up shop at the Singapore Cocktail Festival at 99 Beach Road. Also at #SGCF2017 are booths by the finalists of Singapore’s Next Top Cocktail; an Asia Bar Battle; a gourmet foot street with stalls on stalls serving seriously mouth-watering grub; dreamy bubble-ball pits for adults to waddle in; and lots of innovative booth concepts by the likes of Hendrick’s and Monkey 47—indeed, sweet dreams are made of gin. There’s no better time to bar hop than 16 to 21 March, and here are the experiences we suggest your savour:
- 1. Turn up the heat at the Artisanal Spirits room at Singapore Cocktail Festival (99 Beach Road) with fragrant sips of Paper Lantern’s Sichuan Pepper (with tantalising hints of ginger, lemongrass and galangal).
Introducing to you, one of the twelve artisanal spirits to be featured in the tasting room of our #SGCF2017 Festival Village, our very own locally based Paper Lantern Gin. Distilled in Chiang Mai, Thailand, the Sichuan Pepper Gin holds a bouquet of tantalising botanicals from ginger, lemongrass to galangal; making it a one-of-a-kind craft gin. #drinkpaperlantern #paperlanterngin #SGCocktailFest
2. Also at the Singapore Cocktail Festival (99 Beach Road) is the Black Cow Vodka booth. Smooth and mildly sweet with a serious punch, this scintillating elixir is the worlds only Pure Milk Vodka™ made entirely from the milk of grass grazed cows and nothing else. Quick tip: Sip it with the cheese.
[FESTIVAL VILLAGE EXCLUSIVE] Don’t be deceived by the innocent look of this clear spirit. Without looking the part, @BlackCowVodka is oh-so-smooth and packs a punch. Crafted from nothing but pure whole milk, this creation by dairy farmer Jason Barber of England's West Dorset certainly comes from humble and quirky origins. We hear that the whey is used for vodka whilst the curds go into Jason’s award-winning cheese, and we’re dying to get our hands on them! Purchase your tasting cards on site for just $15 (U.P. $19) during our Happy Hours (Weekdays: 4- 6pm; Weekends: 12 – 2pm) which entitles you to 4 shots at our tasting room. Bound to leave you in the highest of spirits.
3. Both lovers and fighters alike will appreciate this Battle of Thailand’s superstar bartending teams at Nutmeg & Clove (10A Ann Siang Hill). Can’t make it on the 18th? The bar has battles going on all week.
4. For one night only on 20 March, Operation Dagger will be host to a visiting superstar bartender line-up unlike any other. Watch some of the industry’s most creative minds, Alex Kratena, Luke Wookie and Matt Whiley shake up a storm at this dark, mysterious bar in the basement of 7 Ann Siang Hill.
Save the date! In an event not to be missed, LIKE MINDED CREATURES is a 3 way collaboration with 3 of the most creative minds in the industry today. Our very own @lukewookie will be teaming up with @alex_kratena from @pour_drink and @talentedmrfox from @pegandpatriot and @scoutldn No bookings required, come one come all! 💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥 #operationdagger #singapore #bars #cocktails #worldsbestbars #cocktailbars #bartender #instadaily #50bestbars #creative #drinks #food #photography #citynomads #likemindedcreatures #sgcocktailfestival #monday #talentedmrfox #mattwhiley #lukewhearty #wookie #alexkratena
5. Two words: Erwan. Heussaff. This fetching French-Filipino foodie will be concocting drinks you’ll want to try, and try again, tonight at The Horse’s Mouth (#B1-39, Forum the Shopping Mall):
6. Did someone say Muah Chee? Red Tail Bar at Zouk has launched four brand new cocktails exclusively available during Singapore Cocktail Week, and this sweet-nutty confection of a cocktail (with Bacardi Carta Blanca, grounded peanut powder, rice water, toasted sesame, egg whites and lemon juice) is our top pick for your third, fourth, and maybe fifth night cap this weekend.
Muah Chee: (glutinous rice balls coated with peanut and sugar) Our version in a glass: Bacardi Carta Blanca Grounded Peanut Powder Rice Water Toasted Sesame Egg White Fresh Lemon Juice Taste it as a cocktail. Specially launching as part of #SGCocktailFest, available from Thu 16 Mar for $15. #RedTailBarByZouk
7. Trust the palate-pushing team at Smoke & Mirrors, are top spot to unwind above National Gallery, to serve up “The Rainmaker”, a sweet, savoury-umami cocktail crafted with Monkey Shoulder whisky, salted raisin-infused Vermouth and garnished with our favourite Indian snack, papadum.
A reflection of the bar team at Smoke & Mirrors, the Rainmaker does not lie in wait but springs forth to grasp success by the reins. A savoury, umami concoction that's underscored by a sweet note. Available for $18++ this 16 – 21 March this @sgcocktailfest exclusively at #SmokeAndMirrorsBarSG. Make it rain.
8. And back at the Singapore Cocktail Festival (99 Beach Road), where $12 cocktails reign supreme ($20-for-2 during Happy Hour), is the must-visit Snow Leopard Vodka booth. We imagine chefs, aspiring bartenders and even, horticulturists will find this an intriguing experience, what with you having to forage for your own herbs from a vertical garden and picking the fruits that match best, before the bar whips up a fine drink from your glass of ingredients.
By Dana Koh