Gabrielle Chanel, or Coco, as she reinvented herself to be, is one of the most iconic fashion designers of the 20th century. But the accomplishments that she went on to achieve in her lifetime is a far cry from her humble beginnings in the French countryside. During her incredible life, she’s revolutionised the world of fashion and beauty and her legacy continues to inspire even till today.
To mark her 134th birthday, we round up our five favourite quotes from the mademoiselle herself:
1. My life didn’t please me, so I created my life.
2. In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different.
3. Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity.
4. Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman.
5. A woman who doesn’t wear perfume has no future.
Here’s to the woman who embodied courage, fearlessness and incredible vision.