1. Born to an Ethopian father and Irish mother, the 35-year-old actress was raised in Ireland but has called London home since 2006.
2. Negga celebrates her birthday on 7 January, which makes her a Capricorn. People born under this star sign are known to be "patient, persevering and reliable", but also "cautious" when approaching new ventures.
3. Of the lessons we can learn from Loving's couple, Negga told Elle in an interview: "I think events of the moment that are happening all around the world, not just in America, are really demanding more of a kindness for one another and more of an empathy for one another, and this couple shows that we have every reason to be hopeful about humanity because they're such a beautiful, hopeful, loving, kind couple.
4. Negga is also shaping up to be a red carpet star, constantly turning heads in designer frocks from Valentino, Gucci, Prada, Erdem to Marc Jacobs.
5. Negga recently won the Rising Star Award at the Palm Springs Film Festival 2017. Her portrayal as one-half of a interracial couple who challenged conventions and changed the course of American history also earned her a "Best Actress" nomination at the upcoming Golden Globes.
Ruth Negga is another prime example that fortunes can change overnight in Hollywood. After working the television and film circuit for the past 12 years, she’s now Tinseltown’s latest darling, thanks to a memorable performance in the critically acclaimed film, Loving. Written and directed by Jeff Nichols, the film tackles the taboo topic of interracial marriage in the ’50s and sees Negga starring alongside Joel Edgerton as the film’s titular couple. Scroll through the gallery above to find out more about the actress.
Ruth Negga with Loving co-star Joel Edgerton at the Palm Springs International Film Festival. Photo: Getty
By Gerald Tan
The Best Dressed At Palm Springs International Film Festival
The Never Fail Signatures Of 10 Reigning Style Stars
The Sexiest Golden Globes Dresses Of All Time