You may have spent Saturday night dancing on tables until the lights turned on, but give yourself 24 hours of antioxidants, vitamins and reparative skin treatments and no one will be the wiser come Monday. Here’s your hangover cheat sheet.
- – Consume a balanced meal that includes protein and fat to help shield your digestive system from the damaging effects of alcohol. “In addition, you should be hydrating all day prior to your party with water and coconut water,” says nutritionist Steve Macari. “Add a pinch of sea salt to your water bottle to boost the mineral (electrolyte) content.”
- – Pop an extra multivitamin for an antioxidant boost before heading out.
Before you go to bed:
- Eat a piece of fruit that’s high in fructose, like an apple, grapes or watermelon. “Fructose is a type of sugar that helps your liver detoxify alcohol more efficiently, meaning less of a hangover,” says Macari.
- Take a vitamin B1 supplement. “This essential vitamin gets depleted rapidly when you drink,” says Macari.
- – Remove your makeup and apply an overnight mask. Our pick: Olay Regenerist Luminous Sleeping Gel Mask—vitamin B3 and mulberry extract brighten, hydrate and keep puffiness at bay.
- – Put your eye cream and moisturizer in the fridge for cool refreshment in the morning.
After you wake up:
- – Make Macari’s custom hydration drink: Mix 8 oz. water, 4 oz. coconut water, 4 oz. orange juice and a pinch of sea salt.
- – Drink beet juice or eat them in a salad for lunch to help in liver function.
- – Stay out of the sun and pick products with vitamin C, Camu Camu and caffeine to fight free radicals and ease inflammation. Peter Thomas Roth Camu Camu Power C Brightening Moisturizer provides 30x more vitamin C than orange juice and its low molecular weight means it penetrates skin faster.
- – Exfoliate your body with a dry brush or scrub, like Orlane Aqua Svelte Slimming Scrub, to increase blood circulation and get the alcohol moving out of your system faster.