From showcasing bangs to bobs to her curly, natural texture, Jennifer Lopez isn’t afraid to experiment with her hairstyles—which is why she’s a perennial source of inspiration for beauty lovers everywhere. Whether it’s for the red carpet or on set, one of the star’s go-to looks is a soft, touchable textured bun.
According to celebrity hairstylist Andrew Fitzsimons—who has worked with Lopez for years and is a central creative figure for J.Lo’s signature, sexy style—one of the keys to re-creating the look is enhanced volume. “I love adding texture to hair,” Fitzsimons tells BAZAAR.com. “It’s such an [easy] way to add fullness to a style without weighing it down—don’t ever be afraid of frizz.”
Related article: Curly Bangs: Celeb Hairstyles To Inspire Your Look
Lopez’s messy-bun style would be perfect for all your summer parties, special events, or just because. So we ask Fitzsimons for a tutorial on how to DIY the updo using products from his namesake haircare line, available exclusively at Ulta.
How to Get J.Lo’s Signature Bun at Home
First, watch this TikTok how-to for the full tutorial from Fitzsimons himself.
Related article: 10 Hair Trends To Look Forward To In 2022
How to DIY the look:
- Separate the hair into sections. Create face-framing layers by pulling out two pieces of hair at the front of the face, as well as two small pieces from in front of each ear.
- Make a ponytail. Use your fingers to pull the hair into a low ponytail. Finger-comb to remove any lumps and bumps. Spray your ponytail with texture spray to enhance volume.
- Create a low bun. Twist the ponytail into a loose chignon. Leave the ends out and add hairpins to secure it.
- Add some texture. Use a flat iron or curling iron to add shape to the loose hair pieces. Spray the ends of the pieces with hairspray and separate them with your fingers.
- Style the front pieces. Add shape to your face-framing layers by directing the hair away from the face with a flat iron. Next, spray the loose pieces with texture spray and scrunch them with your fingers to create definition.
- Let it shine. Finish the look with a few spritzes of shine spray.
This article originally appeared on Harper’s BAZAAR US.
Related article: The Best Haircut Ideas To Try Now