Demna Gvasalia, the founder of French fashion label Vêtements, has been tapped as the new artistic of Balenciaga. Taking over from Alexander Wang, Gvasalia is expected to bring his fun, youthful eye and personal brand of cool to the storied maison.
“I am extremely honoured and excited to be given the opportunity to bring my creative vision to Balenciaga, a house with such an exceptional history of pushing the boundaries of modernity in fashion,” Gvasalia told WWD in an interview. “I am looking forward to further [expand] the DNA of the house and, together with the team, to write a new chapter in its history.”
Here are five things to know about the designer:
1. He has worked under a host of fashion’s brightest stars: Martin Margiela, Marc Jacobs and Nicolas Ghesquière included.
2. Vêtements, his own fashion label (or collective, as he calls it), has only shown for three seasons.
3. Fans of his label include style stars the likes of Poppy Delevingne, Yasmin Sewell, Miroslava Duma and Rihanna.
4. His fall/winter 2015 show, held in a Parisian gay club, drew a A-list crowd including Kanye West, Jared Leto, and editors from major publications.
5. He’s related to the Antwerp Six. Well, sort of—he went to the same school (Antwerp’s Royal Academy of Fine Arts) as them and collaborated with Walter van Beirendonck (one of the Six) on his men’s collections.
Text by Pakkee