Donatella Versace And Her Daughter Allegra Donate €200,000 To Milan Hospital
Photo: James Devaney / Getty

Donatella Versace and her daughter Allegra Versace Beck have donated 200,000 euros to a Milan hospital to support their fight against coronavirus.

Versace‘s chief creative officer, 67, and her heiress daughter, 33, announced they would be donating the large sum to the intensive care department of San Raffaele hospital in the city, which has been appealing for help due to the overwhelming number of patients being treated for the virus.

Related article: Dolce & Gabbana Teams Up With University To Support Coronavirus Research

Donatella Versace And Her Daughter Allegra Donate €200,000 To Milan Hospital
Photo: Miguel Medina / Getty

“In times like this, it is important to be united and support however we can to help all those who are in the front lines, fighting every day to save hundreds of lives,” said the fashion designer in a statement on Friday (13th March).

“This is why, Allegra and I have decided to make a personal donation of 200,000 euros to the intensive care department of San Raffaele hospital in Milan.

“Our hearts go out to all those who have been affected by this disease and to all the doctors and medical staff who have been working heroically non-stop in the past weeks in the effort to take care of our loved ones.”

Related article: Chiara Ferragni Raises Over €3 Million In The Fight Against The Coronavirus Crisis

She finished with: “This is when we, as a society, need to stand together and care for one another.”

Currently, Italy has the highest number of Covid-19 incidences outside of China – with a reported 17,660 as of Saturday 14th March – and the country’s health care system is groaning under the weight.

Last week, the Italian government appointed new health commissioner Domenico Arcuri to deal with the virus, who will co-ordinate a programme to resupply hospitals with the equipment and staff they urgently need.

Italian influencer Chiara Ferragni and her husband Fedez have raised over €3.6 million to help deal with the coronavirus epidemic in Italy via a Go Fund Me campaign.

The couple also made a personal donation of €100,000 to help fund new hospital beds in Milan’s San Raffaele hospital.

View this post on Instagram

This is to fully explain the situation to all my foreigner followers (70% of my 18.7 millions) who clearly don’t understand the situation here in Italy at the moment: IT IS BAD. We have more than 10.000 cases, more than 600 deaths and more than 5000 people at the hospitals with bad conditions. The hospitals are not ready for all these cases and doctors and nurses are doing all they can to help as many as possible but if the number of sick doesn’t slow down they’ll have to start choosing patients based on how young and likely to survive they are. @fedez and I started a crowdfunding on Monday to help a hospital in Milan and it got over 3.6 millions € in offers and so many other people started collecting for other hospitals but there is still a lot that has to be done. The State decided to LOCK ALL OF THE ITALIANS inside their houses til April 3rd to prevent the virus to spread even more and to avoid the whole system and hospitals to collapse. We’re all living in quarantene right now, like some cities in China have done this past month. So please, start the awareness and understand that this is not a common flu and it’s way more dangerous for all of us: STAY IN as much as possible in this critical time. And If you can, help telling others to be careful and help Italy with its hospitals 🙏🏻

A post shared by Chiara Ferragni ✨ (@chiaraferragni) on

“We hope that this initiative will raise awareness among people in Italy and abroad of the current coronavirus crisis, which is affecting all of us,” they said in a statement, reports WWD.

This article originally appeared on Harper’s BAZAAR UK.

Related article: How The Coronavirus Has Impacted The Fashion Schedule