If you have luxury fashion taste, but not the budget to go with it, there a number of tricks to learn that offer the illusion of wealth. You don’t have to be a millionaire to look like one. Here, we list pearls of wisdom that will give every outfit a polished air.
1. You can buy non-descript little black dresses, cream-coloured knits and dark-wash jeans from anywhere. Having a handful of classic pieces in your closet allows for an array of looks that seem far more expensive.
2. Looking scruffy will never equal ‘wealthy’ at first glance, so keep things polished with clean lines, polished accessories, and neat hair and make-up.
3. If nothing else, invest in your shoes and bag. If you can’t afford to, carry a minimalist leather tote and wear simple ballet flats or loafers.
4. Avoid putting brands on display. Branded everything might be a trend now, but a purse covered in logos can never be refined.
5. Drape your cardigan or coat over your shoulders like every one of our favourite Eighties stars. It might not be practical, but forget about that for now.
Related article: Handbags Are Getting So Small They Can Barely Fit Airpods
6. If you’re going to wear something, make sure it’s still in good condition. Nicks and scratches on shoes, bags or anything else are a no-no.
7. Embrace sunglasses: wear tortoiseshell eyewear à la Jackie Kennedy.
8. Cinching an oversize coat or classic button-down cardigan with a belt adds instant chic to any outfit.
9. Keep eccentric nails to a minimum – just say no to neon polish and anything acrylic. But a neat manicure is a must.
10. Opt for darker denim. The darker the wash, the more sleek your denim looks.
Related article: Red And Pink In One Outfit? We Show You How
11. Ladylike dresses that make you look like you just stepped out of a Kennedy family portrait give off an old-money, new-clothes feel.
12. Your scent can be just as expensive as your look.
13. Don’t be afraid to put your jewels front and centre. From simple diamond studs to that borderline-gaudy statement necklace, this kind of jewellery ups the ante.
14. Own a navy blazer. Own a turtleneck. Wear them together.
15. Embrace conservative status symbols like Belgian Shoes and Gucci loafers. Think of timelessness over trends.
Related article: The Best Shoes From Fall 2019 Runways (So Far)
16. If you don’t know, now you know. Two words: Camel. Coat.
17. Make sure it fits. Clothing is instantly downgraded when it doesn’t fit correctly. Stay away from items that swallow you whole, cut off circulation or create imprints in your skin.
18. It’s okay to be square. Gentlemen, always wear a pocket square. It’s a simple way to completely change the look of an ensemble.
19. Wear your pearls, girls. When in doubt, a classic strand of pearls adds elegance (and dollar signs) to your style. Style with jeans for a modern appeal.
20. Monochrome (read: all-black everything) is the perfect way to give off that “everything I’m wearing is chic and cost a fortune” vibe.
21. Timing is everything. A nice watch is the ultimate power-play accessory.
22. Tread carefully when it comes to animal print. There’s a fine line between a leopard-print heel and a zebra-print jumpsuit.
This article was originally taken from Town And Country.