After Peter Copping’s surprising departure from the brand this summer, Oscar de la Renta has named his replacement. Laura Kim and Fernando Garcia were announced today to the position of co-creative directors, who will begin their tenure with the Fall/Winter 2017 collection. “In their new roles, Kim and Garcia will oversee creative direction for all ready-to-wear, accessories, bridal and children’s collections,” the release reads.
Kim and Garcia launched their own brand last year, Monse and will continue to oversee all aspects of their brand. Additionally, “Oscar de la Renta and Monse will enter into a broad strategic partnership in which Oscar de la Renta will provide operational and logistical support to Monse.”
“We are beyond thrilled to go back to the house where we learned the fundamentals of fashion
from Oscar and the business of fashion from Alex [Bolen]. Having further learned so much this past year with Monse, we will apply all of those lessons to expand the vision that this amazing house has
The design duo is actually returning to the brand. Kim began her career at Oscar de la Renta in 2003 and worked at the company until 2015 before founding Monse with Garcia—who worked at the company from 2009 until 2015.
“For many years, Laura and Fernando worked here directing our design teams. Oscar respected
their talent, and their work with him brought tremendous critical acclaim and success to the
company,” Oscar de la Renta CEO Alex Bolen said in a statement.
“In a short period of time, Laura and Fernando have established Monse as a brand with a distinct,
original point of view. Our plan is to help Monse fulfill its potential by growing quickly and
profitably utilizing our operating, financial and logistic systems. We look forward to Laura and
Fernando once again bringing their extraordinary design skills to Oscar de la Renta.”
Kim and Garcia said:
Originally Published July 20:
Peter Copping announced today that he will be stepping down from his role as Creative Director of Oscar de la Renta. Copping, who was chosen as the successor to Mr. de la Renta by the late designer himself, has been overseeing the design of the brand’s ready-to-wear and bridal collections since soon after the designer’s death, premiering his first collection for the label last February.
Copping noted in his departing statement that his plans to leave New York are entirely personal: “After almost two years at Oscar de la Renta, personal circumstances require me to return to Europe. I have loved my time in New York where I hope to return at some point in the future.”
While many designers have shifted roles and houses in the past few seasons, this under two-year switch-up is by far the most fast-paced in the industry’s game of musical chairs. Oscar de la Renta CEO Alex Bolen confirmed the news of Copping’s departure today, confidently citing his optimism for the future of the brand. “We have always been in the business of creating beautiful clothes, and two of our greatest assets are our design studio and atelier. Our team will continue to work on next season’s collection with a keen focus on the level of sophistication and craftsmanship that are the hallmarks of the house. We wish Peter well in his future endeavors.”
No successor for Copping has been announced as of yet.
From: Harper’s BAZAAR US