This was created by Harper’s BAZAAR Singapore for Nestlé Breakfast Cereals
Let’s face it: It’s tough to get your kids to snack nutritiously. It’s even tougher to make sure that they’re getting their daily nutrition intake up as well. In the Singrain Study 2016 conducted by Newcastle University, researchers found that 9 out of 10 children in Singapore did not meet the whole grain recommendation of 48mg per day. Eating whole grain is ideal because it retains all its vitamins, minerals and fibre, as compared to refined grains, which have been stripped of their natural nutrients. So it comes a shock that even in our developed nation, 90 per cent of kids do not have enough whole grain in their diet!
Breakfast offers the opportunity to provide whole grain for your children, with breakfast cereals being one of the top three contributors of whole grain at breakfast. So instead of running after your child with carrots and cucumber sticks in the morning, why not try a different, and more interesting, approach? We’ve found that using Nestlé Breakfast Cereals such as Koko Krunch and Fitnesse granola—which use whole grain as its primary ingredient, and provides important vitamins and minerals such as calcium and iron—to make nutritious and aesthetically pleasing snacks has been a much easier (and drama-free) way of getting your kids’ whole grain intake up.
Read on for the full recipe to make a deliciously posh snack that you can make for junior in no time at all.
Cereals-ly Fun Homemade Bars
100g unsalted butter
50g light brown sugar
½ tsp salt
3 cups Nestlé Koko Krunch
40g Nestlé Fitnesse Granola
1 packet Skippy’s Squeeze Pouch Peanut Butter
1. Mix your desired amount of Nestlé Koko Krunch, Nestlé Fitnesse Granola, Skippy’s Squeeze Pouch Peanut Butter, hazelnuts and almonds in a small bowl.
2. Add the honey, butter and brown sugar to a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally.
3. When the butter mixture is ready, remove from the heat and stir in salt.
4. Pour the butter mixture over the Nestlé Koko Krunch, Nestlé Fitnesse Granola, Skippy’s Squeeze Pouch Peanut Butter, hazelnuts and almonds mixture, and stir thoroughly to combine.
5. Lay the cereal mixture flat on a tray with baking paper, using a rubber spatula to press the mixture into the tray.
6. Allow the mixture to set in the fridge for 1 hour.
7. Remove the tray from the fridge and cut the mixture into your desired shapes (eg. bear shapes) or sizes and serve.
8. For that extra kick, drizzle more Skippy’s Squeeze Pouch Peanut Butter onto the bar.