If Nicole Kidman and David E. Kelley are behind a series, it’s bound to be a hit, right? After working together on Big Little Lies and The Undoing, the actress and screenwriter-producer have teamed up again for a new, delicious drama.
Nine Perfect Strangers, an eight-episode Hulu series, is based on the eponymous novel from Liane Moriarty (the author of Big Little Lies), which follows a group of city folks whose stay at a secluded wellness retreat is nothing like what they expected. With a star-studded cast joining Kidman, the drama is shaping up to be an addictive, end-of-summer watch. Here’s what to know.
It premieres August 18.
Nine Perfect Strangers debuts on Hulu on Wednesday, August 18, with new episodes arriving weekly.
The first trailer (above) premiered during the Academy Awards broadcast. Below is another teaser from Hulu.
Related article: Bridgerton Is Getting A Prequel Series About Young Queen Charlotte
The book gives us an intriguing hint.
In Moriarty’s novel, the drama goes down at the Tranquillum House, a remote wellness resort where nine people are gathered for some relaxation, self-exploration, and enlightenment. Frances, a romance novelist, makes the trip to treat a bad back and recover from heartbreak. She’s intrigued by her fellow visitors, but she’s even more drawn to the resort’s owner and director for inexplicable reasons.
“Could this person really have the answers Frances didn’t even know she was seeking?” a synopsis reads. “Should Frances put aside her doubts and immerse herself in everything Tranquillum House has to offer—or should she run while she still can? It’s not long before every guest at Tranquillum House is asking exactly the same question.”
Related article: The ‘Friends’ Reunion Special Is Coming In 2021
There are plenty of familiar names in the cast.
With a roster like this, Kidman is in good company. Here’s who to expect in the series.
- Nicole Kidman plays Masha, the mysterious resort director “on a mission to reinvigorate [the guests’] tired minds and bodies” over the course of a 10-day retreat, according to Hulu.
- Melissa McCarthy (Bridesmaids, Mike & Molly) plays Francis, one of the titular nine strangers. She will also executive-produce.
- Manny Jacinto (The Good Place) plays Yao, a stranger with a “bright-eyed man-kid with a hipster vibe” who is deeply committed to Masha’s healing techniques, according to Deadline.
- Tiffany Boone (Little Fires Everywhere) plays Delilah, an employee at the resort.
- Michael Shannon (The Shape of Water, Man of Steel) plays a stranger named Napoleon.
- Asher Keddie (Offspring) plays Heather, Napoleon’s wife.
- Luke Evans (Beauty and the Beast, The Alienist) plays Lars, another one of the strangers. Right now, little is known about the nine titular characters.
- Bobby Cannavale (Homecoming, The Irishman) plays a stranger named Tony.
- Regina Hall (Black Monday, Girls Trip) plays a stranger named Carmel.
- Samara Weaving (Hollywood) plays a stranger named Jessica.
- Melvin Gregg (Snowfall) plays Ben, another one of the nine.
- Grace Van Patten (Tramps) plays Zoe, yet another stranger.
Kelley co-wrote the series with John Henry Butterworth (Ford v Ferrari) and Samantha Strauss (Dance Academy). He and Butterworth are the showrunners. Jonathan Levine (Warm Bodies, 50/50) directed all the episodes.
This article originally appeared on Harper’s BAZAAR US.
Related article: A ‘Sex And The City’ Revival Is Officially Coming To HBO Max