Photo: Getty

Not good enough.

Despite claiming to have apologized to the Sussexes for his misogynoir-laden tabloid column about Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, a spokesperson for the couple tells BAZAAR.com that the British TV personality only reached out to Prince Harry.

In a statement released by Archewell, the couple also criticizes Clarkson for failing to address his history of articles spreading “hate rhetoric, dangerous conspiracy theories, and misogyny.”

“While a new public apology has been issued today by Mr. Clarkson, what remains to be addressed is his long-standing pattern of writing articles that spread hate rhetoric, dangerous conspiracy theories, and misogyny,” the Sussex representative says. “Unless each of his other pieces were also written ‘in a hurry,’ as he states, it is clear that this is not an isolated incident shared in haste, but rather a series of articles shared in hate.”

Related article: The Royal Family Is ‘Rattled’ After Prince Harry Exposes Relationships With British Newspapers

Yesterday, January 16, Clarkson shared on Instagram that he emailed both Harry and Meghan on Christmas Day to apologize.

“I said I was baffled by what they had been saying on TV but that the language I’d used in my column was disgraceful and that I was profoundly sorry,” he wrote.

Addressing his December 16 column in The Sun, Clarkson blamed rush-writing the hateful copy and not having it checked by “someone else.” He failed to mention the several editors at the tabloid—including Editor-in-Chief Victoria Newton—who would have looked over the article before sending it to print.

“Usually, I read what I’ve written to someone else before filing, but I was home alone on that fateful day, and in a hurry,” he explained. “So when I’d finished, I just pressed send. And then, when the column appeared the next day, the land mine exploded.”

He added, “It was a slow rumble to start with and I ignored it. But then the rumble got louder. So I picked up a copy of The Sun to see what all the fuss was about. We’ve all been there, I guess. In that precise moment when we suddenly realise we’ve completely messed up. You are sweaty and cold at the same time. And your head pounds. And you feel sick. I couldn’t believe what I was reading. Had I really said that? It was horrible.”

Related article: Princess Kate Demanded An Apology After Duchess Meghan Said She Had “Baby Brain”

In the December column, Clarkson said that he hated the Duchess of Sussex on a “cellular level … more than [serial killer] Rose West” and declared she should be made to “parade naked” through the streets of Britain while people “throw lumps of excrement at her.”

The disturbing description, he claimed, was inspired by an episode of Game of Thrones. “I knew what had happened straight away,” he said of the furor over the column. “I’d been thinking of a scene in Game of Thrones, but I’d forgotten to mention this. So it looked like I was actually calling for revolting violence to rain down on Meghan’s head.”

This latest update comes after Amazon Prime Video sources confirmed that Clarkson will be parting ways with the streamer after the completing final episodes of his two shows. Variety first reported that the controversial columnist and author won’t appear in any new shows on Prime Video beyond 2024 after the company was “deeply unhappy” with his tirade against Meghan.

Related article: The 8 Biggest Takeaways From Prince Harry’s Tell-All Memoir, ‘Spare’

The timing of Clarkson’s lengthy Instagram apology—his second since publishing the column 31 days ago—was curiously posted just 24 hours before a scheduled press junket for the second season of Clarkson’s Farm. Though it’s appeared to do little to help, as a Prime Video source confirms to BAZAAR that he’s chosen to pull out of appearing at the last minute.

In 2015, Clarkson—who is a close friend of Camilla, Queen Consort—was dropped by the BBC after being found responsible for an “unprovoked physical and verbal attack” that left a colleague on Top Gear bleeding and seeking hospital treatment. Oisin Tymon later sued Clarkson and the network for racial discrimination and personal injury.

A year prior, Clarkson begged viewers’ forgiveness after using the N-word during the filming of the same show. In an online video statement, he claimed to have “tried” skipping the word when reciting the “Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe” nursery rhyme to choose between two cars, but his efforts “weren’t quite good enough.”

This article originally appeared on Harper’s BAZAAR US.