In the business of blogging, it’s a numbers game. Growing your social media followers should be a top priority, as it often translates directly to more opportunities as a blogger. There are a few ways to grow on each channel and network, so the tips are a little different for each separate platform. Below, I broke up the go-to tricks that most bloggers use to boost their counts on Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat.
First and foremost is quality content. Having an overall visually-appealing feed will help you gain followers the instant they come across your profile. At any moment someone can stumble across your profile. Without even clicking on a photo, this person should be able to tell what they will be getting from you in the first nine photos they see on your feed.
1) Develop Your Signature Aesthetic: This goes along with having a clear point of view and a cohesive feed. All bloggers have very specific ways in which they post photos and colors or filters that they avoid. Give yourself a set of style rules and stick to those constraints. This will give your overall feed consistency.
2) Get larger social media accounts to repost your photos: This is the easiest way to gain followers fast. For fashion bloggers, post a strong image of you wearing a brand and tag it in the photo—especially if you know this is a brand that frequently regrams its followers. For example, I know Like to Know It regrams, so when I tag them in a photo that they repost, I will gain followers who also love fashion from their 1.2 million followers.
A photo posted by LIKEtoKNOW.it (@liketoknow.it) on
3) Comment and engage: Comment on other Instagrams with photo feeds that are similar to your own. When you comment on another blogger’s photos, you’re increasing the visbility of your own Instagram handle. When another blogger in turn comments on your Instagram, your photo will show up on the popular feeds of their followers, creating a great opportunity for you to gain new followers.
4) Try Taylor Swift’s girl squad method. Collaborate with Instagrammers and bloggers that have a style similar to your own. The “Follow Friday” tag works really well—tag each other to share followers and gain new ones. If possible, take these photos together to make it seem more organic. Think of Taylor Swift and her besties. They benefit from posting photos together on Instagram in terms of followers and popularity.
5) Connect your images to Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr: For Twitter, shorten your caption and include brands if tagging outfits. Likely they will RT you and you can gain followers across multiple platforms at once.
6) Utilize analytic sites like Iconosquare: See what your most-liked and most-commented photos are and post more like them. That’s what your followers want to see.
In addition to Instagram, Snapchat is growing quickly. Seventy percent of Snapchat users are female and because of that, sharing beauty and style posts are likely to get screenshots. This platform is a great opportunity to show off the unfiltered version of yourself and have a little fun.
1) Tease content on your other social channels that is only available on Snapchat. I won’t post 10 pictures in a day, but I will post on Snapchat 10+ times in one day to tell a story—so let followers know that there is more behind-the-scenes to your Instagram or tweet on your Snapchat.
2) Utilize video content. Videos are a great way to get more viewers on your snap stories, as they engage people for longer stints of time. If I am traveling somewhere new, I will show the destination on Instagram and then share more behind-the-scenes moments from my travels on Snapchat. For Youtubers, Snapchat can be a good platform to upload videos and mini tutorials between Youtube uploads.
3) Engage and let loose. From a photo it’s hard to tell someone’s personality, but on Snapchat, influencers are more like their “real” self (as opposed to being edited on other social networks). This is a great way to connect with your followers and have fun with social media—it can also help add more context to your Instagram posts.
4) Host a Q&A: I’ll announce a Q&A on Twitter or Instagram and then answer the questions on Snapchat so people can watch and follow along. It’s great not only for engagement with followers but also for a number boost.
A photo posted by Marianna Hewitt | blogger (@marianna_hewitt) on
1) Engage, engage, engage: Since I can’t always reply to every Instagram comment, I engage a lot more on Twitter and answer all questions on there. Start conversations with bloggers or influencers who are also in fashion—this is a great way to get retweeted, which is the fastest way to gain more followers.
2) Tag brands and influencers. If you are wearing a brand in a blog post, tag them in it and tweet the link. This is not only a quick way to increase followers, but also drives people to your site.
3) Live-tweet events or awards shows: Something that everyone is watching, such as Sunday’s VMAs, is the perfect opportunity to live-tweet your commentary throughout. With a live hashtag, you can engage with other tweeters, gain new followers and let your personality shine. Live events are an easy way to connect with strangers on Twitter without feeling awkward—this can help you build up your following and influence on the platform.
4) Cross-market all of your social channels here: This is a good opportunity to add more commentary to Instagrams, Snapchats and blog posts. It can help you gain followers across all your accounts if you’re tweeting the links to other social profiles.