- 1. Have an elk-hide trunk for the back of your car? Hermès of Paris will make this.
- 2. Go to the theatre in a black tweed evening suit with a jacket embroidered in brilliant paillettes?
- 3. Put all your dogs in bright yellow collars and leads like all the dogs in Paris?
- 4. Part your hair well back on your head and turn the bang under in a Gibson girl pompadour?
Related Article: Why Don’t You…? Madonna On Living Outside The Box
- 5. Carry a fine gold mesh bag with the frame and clasp in multicoloured stones?
- 6. Have your bed made in China—the most beautiful bed imaginable, the head board and spread of yellow satin embroidered in butterflies, alighting and flying, in every size and in exquisite colours?
- 7. With your purple tweeds, try low boots of dark red leather or pale blue hand-sewn gloves?
- 8. Order Schiaparelli’s cellophane belt with your name and telephone number on it?
Related Article: Why Don’t You? By Diane von Furstenberg
- 9. Rinse your blond child’s hair in dead champagne to keep it gold, as they do in France?
- 10. Give a length of exquisite brocade—enough for an evening envelope, to bind a favourite book, or make a little jacket?
- 11. Have the most beautiful necklaces in the world made of huge pink spiky coral with big Siberian emeralds?
- 12. Find one dress that you like and have it copied many times? You will be much more successful than if you try to produce the same effects each evening.
Related Article: Why Don’t You…? Peter Pilotto And Christopher De Vos On Living Well
- 13. Tie black tulle bows on your wrists?
- 14. Have every room done up in every colour green? This will take months, years, to collect, but it will be delightful—a melange of plants, green glass, green porcelains, and furniture covered in sad greens,
gay greens, clear, faded and pois on greens?
- 15. Wear black and white imprimé chiffon nightgowns with little heart-shaped monograms?
This article originally appeared in the November 2016 issue of Harper’s BAZAAR Singapore.